Town Square

Post a New Topic

Downtown fire caused by electrical short

Original post made on Oct 22, 2007

The awning at the former Dal Baffo restaurant at 848 Santa Cruz Ave. in downtown Menlo Park now has a 30-foot gap in the middle and charred edges after a short in a photo-electric sensor -- meant to light a real estate sign -- set it ablaze on Monday, Oct. 22, shortly after 9:30 a.m.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, October 22, 2007, 11:37 AM

Comments (4)

Like this comment
Posted by wondering
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Oct 22, 2007 at 5:23 pm

Did this sign receive city approval? The fire could have done a lot of damage!


Like this comment
Posted by InquiringMindsWantToKnow
a resident of Menlo Park: Downtown
on Oct 22, 2007 at 9:14 pm

Wondering:
Perhaps you should ask Dick Poe - it was his supersized sign, after all.


Like this comment
Posted by BuildingInspector
a resident of Menlo Park: Downtown
on Oct 23, 2007 at 10:56 am

It's unfortunate that it happened, and fortunate that it wasn't worse that it was.

Was the electrical work done with city permits? And with a licensed contractor?


Like this comment
Posted by Mike Grossman
a resident of Menlo Park: other
on Oct 23, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Dal Baffo ? A Fire?
Gee! Never would have thought!!


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto
By Elena Kadvany | 16 comments | 4,227 views

The Cost of Service
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 966 views

Couples: When Wrong Admit It; When Right; Shut Up
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 423 views

One-on-one time
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 389 views