Obituary: Gunther Sorger

Original post made on Mar 2, 2010

Gunther Urban Sorger of Portola Valley, a pioneer in the development of microwave systems for air safety, died peacefully Feb. 10. In 1970 he moved to California to work for the Eaton industrial company, where he founded the research and development center of the company's electronic instrumentation division in Sunnyvale.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, February 28, 2010, 9:58 PM

Posted by Stephan Sorger
a resident of Portola Valley: Ladera
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Dr. Sorger was my father. He was also a great man and a born leader. We miss him very much.

Posted by Marie
a resident of Portola Valley: Ladera
on Mar 14, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Gunther was a great guy and so typical of a solid Ladera resident. My condolences to the boys and Ursula.

Posted by Kevin Krizman
on Jul 28, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I never knew Dr. Sorger personally. I only heard about him through a couple of his professional colleagues, and I have a few pages of his lecture notes still in my files. Based on the stories I heard and his notes I have read, he was a wonderful colleague, a brilliant engineer, and a great teacher. He was able to make very complex subjects easy to understand--a real sign of brilliance--and he made life a pleasure for those around him.

It always amazes me how much a complete stranger can touch your life; the fact that someone that Dr. Sorger never even knew is better off because of Dr. Sorger's life is a testament to his greatness. My condolences to his family.

Posted by James Vait
on Dec 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I was a river guide on the Klamath River in the 1980s. Dr. Sorger and his two sons were guests on one of my trips. He was one of the most interesting guests I ever had and in all theses years I've thought of him, so I decided to google his name and here I am. Rest in Peace.

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle

on Jun 4, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?