Menlo Park joins high-speed rail lawsuit

Original post made on Sep 22, 2010

Like an endless loop, Menlo Park City Council voted 4-0 on Tuesday (Sept. 21) to join neighboring cities in a lawsuit against the state rail authority. Councilman Andy Cohen recused himself due to a conflict of interest.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 9:03 AM

Posted by Osman
on Sep 22, 2010 at 10:15 am

This lawsuit is another waste of taxpayer money. Stop whining and start cooperating with the Rail Agency, and you WILL build it for less $$.

Posted by Wake Up
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Sep 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm

If the goal of another lawsuit is to force the High Speed Rail Authority to change the route back to the Altamont Pass, that route puts the train on a rail bridge across the bay and behind Suburban Park and Lorelei Manor in Menlo Park. The battle will then be lead by the residents in those neighborhoods just as it was when the Dumbarton Express was a being considered. New soldiers but the same arguments about the HSRA's process, procedures, false information, wasteful expenditures of taxpayer's money, insensitivity and greed. All these sentiments may be valid but they don't get to the heart of the issue.

So, if the folks who live near the Caltrain right-of-way get their way, be prepared for a new set of neighborhood NIMBYs to take up the fight. If Suburban Park and Lorelei Manor residents are reading this, join the discussion now before this HSR fight is your fight.

Posted by Smart Move
a resident of Menlo Park: Felton Gables
on Sep 22, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I applaud our City Council for taking a unanimous stand and joining the lawsuit. Besides lip service, the CHSRA has done nothing to indicate that they give a hoot about our city or others along the line (the exception being SF, which is getting a fancy, underground terminal, which was recently celebrated by local big-wigs, Kopp, Pelosi and Boxer). CHSR's new CEO was brought on board to get the train built for the lowest cost possible, regardless of the havoc and blight it will create along the way. His job is to get it done, and the heck with any other concerns. In practical terms, our options are few. Citizens and cities along the way route need to be clear and forceful in order to have any impact whatsoever with the Authority. (And it does behave like an authority.) When our cities are united in their stance, they are more difficult to ignore or be steamrolled. Litigation needs to be pursued.

Posted by Robert
on Sep 22, 2010 at 1:13 pm

There's a pretty easy solution to all of this. Have the HSR terminate in San Jose, and then have our existing infrastructure take the rest of the load (CalTrain, light rail and BART). The way it's going right now, we'll never see HSR in our lifetime otherwise.

Posted by New In Town
on Sep 22, 2010 at 1:13 pm

This law suit seems very pointless to me. The only possible result, if this litigation is successful, is that the Rail Authority will need to spend more money conducting new analysis, etc. I don't think it's realistic that the numbers will come out shockingly different that they will decide to change the current plan.

It's time to look at the greater benefits, stop the selfish "Not in my backyard" attitude, and start cooperating to make this happen, not let it languish in courts for years to come.

Posted by reallywakeup
on Sep 22, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Nothing you people do will stop this much needed project..your fears are nothing but overblown opinions since that railroad has been there for over 100 years..All the fearmongering and threats are a big laugh to read!

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Sep 22, 2010 at 1:42 pm

"Can any of today's HSR foes just be honest and say, "I hate the train. It's near my house. I'm scared. I'm angry. Make it go away. Kill it." I can respect these feelings. They're honest and from the gut."

I can only speak for myself and none of the above applies. I am against HSR because it is a boondoggle. It will be guaranteed to cost more than it was sold as costing. It will not have the ridership they claimed it would have. This leads to me, the taxpayer being left holding the bag. HSR will end up having to be subsidized and I as a taxpayer fully expect when that becomes apparent they will raise my taxes or charge me some type of "fee" or find any of several other ways to extract money from me to pay for a project I don't want and damn well will not use. For the record I live near teh Caltrain right of way and I have no problem with trains. I have a problem with being screwed.

All your news. All in one place. Every day.

Facing high kitchen turnover, Los Altos' The Post revamps majority of its menu