Andersons give major art collection to Stanford

Original post made on Jun 16, 2011

A veritable arts district is burgeoning at Stanford University, with a new building slated to be built to house a major donation of 20th-century American art. ==B Photo:== Donating 121 work by 86 artists are Atherton's Harry W. and Mary Margaret Anderson, and their daughter Mary Patricia Anderson Pence. ==I Photo by L.A. Cicero.==

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, June 15, 2011, 10:14 PM

Posted by Rebecca Forrest
on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:21 am

Really ticks me off, Stanford is always building & laying off people & cutting salaries. Makes NO sense to me. Now they HAVE to build a new "temple" to house this art. Make no mistake I love art as much as the next person. But why can't they hang it in an already existing wing of the Medical Center and leave my husband's salary alone? It's the same pie, damn it!

Posted by Hmmm
on Jun 16, 2011 at 11:44 am

Rebecca, I had the same thought! I am totally thrilled that this art will be made public locally & that is exciting & fulfilling. I can see people of all ages, from around the world, being able to view it all. But like you, I am concerned about the new building. Have you seen the gorgeous Chihuly in the new stem cell research building? It's incredible. But really, in this economic downturn? Oh, but it was donated by a health non-profit. What the heck?

I admit that my DH's salary hasn't been cut, but given the frozen job reqs, slashed budgets, lack of jobs all over academia, this seems a bit much. Where has the funding come for this building, do you know? I'd love to know more.

Of course, once we know more, it makes the appreciation of this collection a double-edged sword :-(

Posted by Jon Castor
a resident of Woodside: Woodside Heights
on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:08 pm

A wonderful gift by the Andersons! Once on display, we'll all be able to enjoy their collection.

Posted by the rich get richer
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Although the Andersons' generosity is admirable, note that there is another thread on this forum discussing the fact that two Ravenswood schools will be closed due to lack of funding. Which educational institution, Stanford or the Ravenswood school district, is in greater need of donations?

Stanford is a prestigious institution, and no doubt that is a reason that the Andersons want to be associated with it. But Stanford is also extremely rich already. It is hard not to wonder if the Andersons' beneficence, no matter how well-intended, is monumentally misplaced.

Posted by MJK
a resident of Atherton: other
on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm

To rich get richer

Good point. The art would have to be sold first, which could be handled by an art dealer.

Why don't you contact the Anderson's directly with your thoughts?

Posted by Hmmm
on Jun 18, 2011 at 1:06 am

It's gonna be awhile, or maybe never, before some wealthy philanthropists wanna cozy up to Ravenswood School District w/their art collection. That said, I've seen a lot of gawkers lately at Zuckerberg's house - it's a little unsettling. But now that he's so close by, is anyone gonna approach him for $$ for RSD?

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle

on Jan 15, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Couples: So You Married Mom or Dad . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 918 views