Menlo Park resident spots alleged burglar

Original post made on Sep 20, 2013

For many residents, it was a warm and quiet afternoon in Menlo Park on Wednesday (Sept. 18). But for one person, the pace of the day quickened as the citizen spotted a man and car that looked out of place.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, September 20, 2013, 9:48 AM

Posted by Davis
a resident of Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
on Sep 20, 2013 at 12:43 pm

A tip of the hat to the vigilant citizen!

Posted by Arbor rd
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Thank you so much to the police for quick response. To the brave citizen who called it in. It's hard to make a quick decision and know what is unusual. We have so much
construction and garden trucks I am not sure who is working or not

Posted by Jeff Arnold
a resident of Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm

What? Profiling worked ??? Hard to believe it but it seems to work most every time it't used? What I'd like to know is what made this individual stand out as not belonging in the neighborhood ? Was it race ? Apparent income level? In my neighborhood, which is very quite several things might tip you off but Crane is a very busy street with lots of traffic so, please let me know when I can profile and when it's unacceptable. I'm confused !!

Posted by To Jeff
a resident of Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
on Sep 22, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I don't think profiling was at issue at all. Rather disrespectful of you to assume facts that you clearly don't know. Shame on you

Posted by Jeff
a resident of Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Disrespectful??? Instead of accusing me of being disrespectful how about just answering my question. What possibly been the thing that was a tip off and not be profiling?? Crane street is not a quite residential street. There are residences but there are also many other activities on Crane St which creates a lot of traffic.
I was just confused as to the guidelines on what is profiling and what is not!
Are you capable of answering that question???e

Posted by Richard Grossman
a resident of Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
on Sep 23, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Hey Jeff,
The answer is, if I do it I'm being vigilant, a good citizen.
If you do it, you are profiling and a much worse person
then any lurking criminal. If you know what is best you
will just look the other way not report any suspicious activity.

Posted by Hmmm
on Sep 23, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Profiling is a term generally ascribed to those in authority, such as law enforcement, not a civilian.