M-A freshman facing medical emergency dies; community rallied to raise funds

Original post made on Dec 20, 2016

Update: The young man described in this story, Aisea Mataele, was taken off of life support in the early evening of Dec. 20 and has died, according to a text received from his relative, Nona Ybarra.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, December 20, 2016, 3:08 PM

Posted by Kristine Reis
a resident of Atherton: West of Alameda
on Dec 20, 2016 at 7:50 pm

As a long time friend of and teacher to many Mataeles, my heart breaks to hear of Aisea's passing. I know the family is grateful for the support of the Las Lomitas and Menlo Atherton communities.

Posted by Maia
a resident of Portola Valley: other
on Dec 20, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Although I may not know Aisea too well he was a really cool guy but my thoughts and prayers are with his family it deeply saddens me to learn of his passing. Rest In Peace Aisea our community salutes you.

Posted by Tess Escoto
on Dec 21, 2016 at 8:23 am

I met this family through Pastor Silvia Clayton and appreciated their support at the passing of my relative several years ago. My heart goes out to them and prayers as well.

Posted by Damarius Louie
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Dec 21, 2016 at 11:12 pm

I will always remember you by the jokes you get me on and playing my first year of football with you. I wish I could say my goodbyes before you past I felt heartbroken when I heard. You were my first friend at MA and you weren't just a friend to me you were like a brother restate in peace Aisea

Posted by Andrea
on Jun 26, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Did anyone look up Reyes Syndrome? Same thing happened Dec 24th 2015 to my baby girl she was also 14 years old.. And also misdiagnosed but with Gastritis. It was Reyes Syndrome later confirmed by a pediatrician specialist.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Couple brings Chinese zongzi to Mountain View

Don't Miss Your Exit (and other lessons from an EV drive)
By Sherry Listgarten | 9 comments | 1,769 views

Goodbye Food Waste!

"Better" Dads and "Re-invigorated" Moms: Happier Couples
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,186 views

Bobby in Naziland: A Tale of Flatbush
By Stuart Soffer | 2 comments | 531 views

Register today!

On Friday, October 11, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run or half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

Learn More