M-A freshman facing medical emergency dies; community rallied to raise funds

Original post made on Dec 20, 2016

Update: The young man described in this story, Aisea Mataele, was taken off of life support in the early evening of Dec. 20 and has died, according to a text received from his relative, Nona Ybarra.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, December 20, 2016, 3:08 PM

Posted by Kristine Reis
a resident of Atherton: West of Alameda
on Dec 20, 2016 at 7:50 pm

As a long time friend of and teacher to many Mataeles, my heart breaks to hear of Aisea's passing. I know the family is grateful for the support of the Las Lomitas and Menlo Atherton communities.

Posted by Maia
a resident of Portola Valley: other
on Dec 20, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Although I may not know Aisea too well he was a really cool guy but my thoughts and prayers are with his family it deeply saddens me to learn of his passing. Rest In Peace Aisea our community salutes you.

Posted by Tess Escoto
on Dec 21, 2016 at 8:23 am

I met this family through Pastor Silvia Clayton and appreciated their support at the passing of my relative several years ago. My heart goes out to them and prayers as well.

Posted by Damarius Louie
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Dec 21, 2016 at 11:12 pm

I will always remember you by the jokes you get me on and playing my first year of football with you. I wish I could say my goodbyes before you past I felt heartbroken when I heard. You were my first friend at MA and you weren't just a friend to me you were like a brother restate in peace Aisea

Posted by Andrea
on Jun 26, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Did anyone look up Reyes Syndrome? Same thing happened Dec 24th 2015 to my baby girl she was also 14 years old.. And also misdiagnosed but with Gastritis. It was Reyes Syndrome later confirmed by a pediatrician specialist.

Get the most important local news stories sent straight to your inbox daily.

All-day Indian cafe opens in Redwood City with a focus on takeout

Menlo Park Now Has A Tremendous Opportunity to Transform Its Downtown
By Dana Hendrickson | 19 comments | 4,538 views

Polar vortexes and clean energy in the Upper Midwest
By Sherry Listgarten | 3 comments | 3,478 views

Premarital and Couples: What Happens in Vegas Doesn't Stay in Vegas

Union demands too many: Open up the schools now!
By Diana Diamond | 12 comments | 2,470 views

Submit your story today

The 35th Annual Palo Alto Weekly Short Story Contest is now accepting entries for Adult, Young Adult and Teen categories. Submit your short story here by April 2 (online submissions only). Stories must be 2,500 words or less. First, Second and Third Place prizes awarded in each category. Sponsored by Kepler's Books, Linden Tree Books and Bell's Books.

Contest Details