Guest opinion: Raising questions about the death penalty

Original post made on Feb 1, 2018

On Jan. 8, the District Attorney's (DA) Office of San Mateo County announced that it will seek the death penalty for an individual charged with the murder of a 17-month-old girl. The DA's office has described the act as "... an extraordinarily horrific crime against one of the most vulnerable members of our society ... ."

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:00 AM

Posted by In Gratitude
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Feb 1, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Thank you Mr. Organ, This is a reminder to us the voters and to the County D.A. that executing human beings is finally becoming a repugnant option in punishing those who murder others. One can only hope that some day we , as a nation, will leave the company of the other 57 countries that still execute criminals.

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on Feb 2, 2018 at 9:15 am

Michael G. Stogner is a registered user.

I have always been opposed to the Death Penalty especially with my personal knowledge of the amount of Prosecutorial Misconduct that occurs daily in San Mateo County Courts with the blessings of the Board of Supervisors and most of our Judges (Hon. Judge Donald Ayoob the exception). With that said after attending the preliminary hearing of the case mentioned above, I would volunteer to pull the trigger if that option was available and if he had a fair trial.

If any case deserves the death penalty sentence I believe this one qualifies.

I am sorry for the mother who lost her daughter to a love interest and I am sorry for all Law Enforcement and First Responders that had to work this case. Thank You for what you do.

Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Feb 2, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Jack Hickey is a registered user.

[Off-topic post removed]

Posted by Menlo Voter.
on Feb 2, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Menlo Voter. is a registered user.

I long ago started to oppose the death penalty. Not because I don't think it is, it most certainly is, the criminal will never offend again. No, I oppose it because it is not cost effective. At least in this state. There is so much money and so much time spent on endless appeals that it is simply cheaper to keep these people in prison for the rest of their lives.

Posted by wut would....
a resident of Atherton: other
on Feb 4, 2018 at 2:49 pm

State sanctioned murder as vengeance makes me wonder...

WWJD?

Posted by Reality
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Feb 4, 2018 at 6:21 pm

District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe is obsessed with the death penalty. How come?

Posted by Jun Rm
on Feb 5, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Iran, China etc. love killing their citizens, too.

Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Feb 6, 2018 at 1:05 pm

Jack Hickey is a registered user.

[Off-topic post removed]

Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Feb 6, 2018 at 3:06 pm

Jack Hickey is a registered user.

I agree with Henry Organ. I recommend an article, "Capital Punishment - The Pope's Position" which I found on the internet, for thoughtful consideration of the topic.

It can be found here:
Web Link

Couples: Drop Your Keyboard!

Coffeebar to expand to Redwood City