Stanley Webb, longtime owner of Webb Ranch, dies

Original post made on Sep 6, 2018

Stanley Webb, the owner of Webb Ranch, changed the ranch's focus from dairy farming and growing strawberries to boarding and celebrating horses and selling a variety of produce at a stand on Alpine Road. Webb died Aug. 11 at the age of 98.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, September 6, 2018, 11:57 AM

Posted by Judy
on Sep 6, 2018 at 1:20 pm

My condolences to Mr. Webb's family. He certainly saw a lot of change in this area during the almost 100 years that he lived here. There aren't many people remaining in this area who grew up on local farms/ranches. I'm sorry that that kind of life has disappeared.

I enjoyed purchasing fresh fruits and vegetables at Webb ranch when my parents lived up in the hills. Webb ranch sits on some very expensive real estate. I wonder if his children will keep the ranch running, which is a lot of work, or sell to developers who must be drooling over the desirable property. I sure hope it remains a ranch, but I guess what I hope for doesn't really matter since I am not the owner.

Posted by Judy
on Sep 6, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Oops, I just read that Stanford owns the property and leases it to the Webb family. I believe the lease is up soon. I sure hope that Stanford won't develop the property.

Posted by Member
on Sep 6, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Stan Webb was a gentleman who was tremendously generous. No one who visited him at the ranch left without more fruits or vegetables than they could eat. He was famous for delivering strawberries to all service people doctors accountants or anyone with whom he did business. The vegetable stand was famous for perhaps the best Ace tomatoes anywhere and folks all over the peninsula would make the effort traveling to the stand. The stand at Alpine Road and 280 is still open for pumpkins and Christmas trees having busloads of children enjoying the entertainment that the Webb Ranch sets up as part of the fun. Stan Webb and Alice Webb will be missed and their dedication to Webb Ranch will carry on through their children. May Stan and Alice Rest In Peace.

Posted by Conway Cruickshank
a resident of Portola Valley: Ladera
on Sep 7, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Stan was a cool customer. In the early days our gang feared him. My first encounter with Stan is when he chased John Sink, Dave Cater, and I out of his hay field for flying kites. He came on his tractor waving and yelling. We were petrified, and ran except for Dave who couldn't let go of his kite. I guess we were probably in kindergarten. John once told me Stan was gonna kick his ass between his ears for picking his berries. Later on I grew to respect Stan and everything he had done managing the ranch. I hope he is in high pasture and enjoying life on the other side. Rest in Peace. Best regards to the family.

Posted by McQuarrie family
a resident of Menlo Park: University Heights
on Sep 7, 2018 at 6:45 pm

Our family has been here for about 65 years, in all that time, Stanley Webb was kind and generous to the whole community. I remember all the kids at Las Lomitas Elementary school would all go out there and ride a horse, be taught how to care for it. He knew everything about how to grow anything we were continually amazed by his knowledge

We always thought that must be the most beautiful place to grow up. Our condolences to the family. Many generations of local children have grown up spending time on the ranch, it helped us all to stay out of trouble and have fun. Many thanks to the Webb family for all the contributions to our community. You are in our prayers, may he rest in peace, he was a very special man

Be the first to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Verve Coffee to start brewing in Palo Alto this Friday