Wood burning bans now in effect year-round on Spare the Air days | Town Square | Almanac Online |

Wood burning bans now in effect year-round on Spare the Air days

Original post made on Nov 25, 2019

Wood burning bans will now be in effect year-round on Spare the Air days in the Bay Area after a vote Wednesday by the region's air quality regulatory board.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, November 25, 2019, 8:06 AM

Posted by parent
on Nov 25, 2019 at 8:37 am

The wood smoke in our neighborhood is sometimes so noxious that we don't let the kids go outside and play. People need to use common sense before lighting up. Please don't light a fire unless it is raining. Thank you.

Posted by don't care
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Nov 25, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Toothless law.
People here don't care.
"My home, my castle, and I drive an electric/hybrid."
Can't take a walk in the neighborhood on weekend afternoons in winter or summer, as air quality is as bad as with wildfires.

Posted by West Menlo
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Nov 26, 2019 at 4:06 pm

Seriously? You can't walk outside in the summer on weekend afternoons because people are burning wood in their fireplaces? 80 degrees out and the air quality is bad because of wood fires in peoples' homes? Maybe just a bit of an exaggeration?

I find the slight smell of an occasional wood fire very soothing. And I've never been inconvenienced because of fireplace or fire pit wood fires. I love them!!

Posted by selfish
a resident of Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
on Nov 26, 2019 at 5:16 pm

> I love them!!

May the lungs of you and yours always be able to handle the particulate metter. Many, however, cannot.

Posted by selfish
a resident of Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
on Feb 1, 2020 at 8:00 am

"I find the slight smell of an occasional wood fire very soothing. "

And my lungs find the particulates physically harmful. But you're 'soothed', so....

Go buy some smoke perfume, since your terrible life requires 'soothing' so much...

But that's just me and my lungs. I can only imagine explaining to an asthmatic kid why they can't breath.

Get fact-based reporting on the COVID-19 crisis sent to your inbox daily.

Dining outdoors in Santa Clara County? You'll have to keep your mask on for most of the meal

The dual dilemma for students and adults – will working from home really work?
By Diana Diamond | 24 comments | 3,752 views

How much time do we have left?
By Sherry Listgarten | 18 comments | 2,895 views

Staying Optimistic
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 822 views

Do you Fight, Flight, or Freeze?
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 406 views