First Person: My mother's house | Town Square | Almanac Online |

First Person: My mother's house

Original post made on Nov 26, 2019

Every day for nearly 20 years, I drive or walk by the apartment complex on Sharon Road on my way to Safeway, or to the post office, or the dry cleaners, and every time, I wish the same wish, that my parents still lived there, and every time, this wish will not come true.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 12:00 AM

1 person likes this
Posted by R&R
a resident of Portola Valley: Westridge
on Nov 26, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Hugs !!

1 person likes this
Posted by Firoozeh Dumas
on Nov 27, 2019 at 8:56 am

I don't know what to say other than "thank you." What a lovely, moving tribute to the author's mother and to all those who welcome us in their homes unannounced. This is a must read for anyone who has ever loved and lost, and isn't that all of us?
Donia Bijan is a gem.

Posted by Mina Rad
on Nov 28, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Such a beautiful and moving tribute to Donia Bijan's mother. This is a must read.

Posted by P Robichaud
on Nov 29, 2019 at 12:00 am

What a lovely and moving tribute. It elegantly says so much about universal themes: home, connection, love, longing... and also about the author, her mother, her family, her son. Illustrates beautifully that although our loved ones may not be here in person, they are still right beside/inside us.

Posted by kate
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Nov 29, 2019 at 8:00 pm

I am going to purchase this book tomorrow. Having lost my 96 year old mother six months ago, I have not doubt that this book will resonate with me as did her last novel, The last Days of Cafe Lila. Donia Bijan is a treasure, from her treasured Palo Alto restaurant, La mi Donia to her writing.

Get fact-based reporting on the COVID-19 crisis sent to your inbox daily.

Dining outdoors in Santa Clara County? You'll have to keep your mask on for most of the meal

The dual dilemma for students and adults – will working from home really work?
By Diana Diamond | 24 comments | 3,758 views

How much time do we have left?
By Sherry Listgarten | 18 comments | 2,953 views

Staying Optimistic
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 824 views

Do you Fight, Flight, or Freeze?
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 409 views