Town Square

Post a New Topic

Guest opinion: Protect families from homelessness. Extend the eviction moratorium.

Original post made on May 9, 2021

Miriam Yupanqui, the executive director of Nuestra Casa de East Palo Alto, calls on the extension of the eviction moratorium in a guest opinion.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, May 9, 2021, 8:52 AM

Comments (5)

Posted by Joseph E. Davis
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on May 9, 2021 at 10:11 am

Joseph E. Davis is a registered user.

Every working adult who wants a vaccine can easily get one now. The pandemic emergency is over or at the very least near its end. Why should California continue to interfere in the contractual arrangements between tenants and landlords by making it difficult or impossible to evict non-paying tenants?

This meddling will have unfortunate consequences for the rental market by making it even more unattractive than it already was to be a landlord.


Posted by Enough
a resident of Menlo Park: other
on May 9, 2021 at 8:55 pm

Enough is a registered user.

While there may be a necessity to protect some people from eviction for a little longer (A few more months at most) there needs to be some consideration for landlords. Not all of them are corporations, some are adults that live off the rent they make from their property and they are suffering when their tenants are not paying rent. I am for eliminating the eviction restrictions and having in place a faster system that tenants can use to appeal an eviction and get a temporary (3 month) stay.


Posted by Atherton Resident
a resident of Atherton: other
on May 10, 2021 at 2:00 pm

Atherton Resident is a registered user.

This "temporary" rent relief has gone on for over a year. Time to let it expire.


Posted by Karen Grove
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on May 11, 2021 at 7:41 pm

Karen Grove is a registered user.

Thank you, Miriam, for this excellent opinion and call to action. Extending the moratorium is good for tenants and landlords! It gives tenants and landlords time to draw upon the $2.9 billion in federal funds to recoup most of the losses of the last year. Landlords are asked to forgive 20% of back-rent, and in return, the federal funds guarantee they receive the remaining 80% of which the tenant pays a portion. Landlords get far more financial compensation by utilizing this assistance than through eviction. From a humanitarian point of view, extending the eviction moratorium protects our communities from the loss of neighbors, friends, family. Tenants who are most at risk of eviction and subsequent likely homelessness are disproportionately single head of household women of color with children! They are also the essential workers such as health care support staff, home health workers, childcare providers who have been risking their health and homes to support a functioning society. Now society must support them.


Posted by pogo
a resident of Woodside: other
on May 12, 2021 at 10:10 am

pogo is a registered user.

Karen Grove -

I'm fine with everything you say... provided that those landlords you ask to accept 80% of back rent, are able to get that same "80% deal" on THEIR property taxes, water bills, sewer and trash pick up, and, of course, their mortgage payments.

These landlords - often retired Moms and Pops who have rented out a former residence and depend on that rent for their survival - still have to pay 100% of their expenses.

Where's THEIR 80% deal?


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Post a comment

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Stay informed.

Get the day's top headlines from Almanac Online sent to your inbox.

Michelin-starred chefs bring Korean & Taiwanese fare to State Street Market in Los Altos
By The Peninsula Foodist | 1 comment | 3,052 views

For You, Readers
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 2,503 views

Abortion in America: a new perspective
By Diana Diamond | 9 comments | 2,229 views

 

Meet the winners!

To show appreciation for the local business community, readers voted for their favorite places to eat, shop, work out or spend time with family and friends. The Almanac is proud to unveil this year's Readers' Choice honorees.

View Winners