PAMF, Sutter Health face suit over allegedly racist workplace

Original post made on Jul 20, 2021

An eye surgeon who was once the highest-ranking Black physician in a leadership role at Palo Alto Medical Foundation has filed a lawsuit alleging PAMF and Sutter Health maintained a racially toxic workplace.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, July 20, 2021, 11:33 AM

Posted by TR
on Jul 20, 2021 at 12:24 pm

TR is a registered user.

This is an extremely disturbing set of accusations with a compelling narrative. We shall see how this plays out.

I do think it is worth noting that The Almanac chose to suggest a grammatical error in quoting the doctor "Because I do not think there is any (sic) other viable means for effecting change". Would you have made the same '(sic)' notation of a white British doctor? The singular is normal grammar in many parts of the world.

Posted by Disheartened
on Jul 20, 2021 at 1:02 pm

Disheartened is a registered user.

As a patient of Dr. Nyong'o's, and a lifelong patient of PAMF, I am so disheartened by this. Dr. Nyong'o is an excellent eye surgeon -- the best I've ever seen. I have always considered myself lucky to be a PAMF patient and to have found Dr. Nyong'o. Terrible to hear that there is bigotry within. I hope his bravery brings about positive change and that he is protected from any negative repercussions for speaking out.

Posted by Sue Dremann
on Jul 21, 2021 at 11:52 am

Sue Dremann is a registered user.

TR -- Thanks for your comment. As the writer of this story, I chose to add the (sic) per what I believed to be this publication's usual practice regarding grammatical errors. There was no racism, real or implied, in that decision. If the person being quoted was white, yes, I would do the same. That said, your point is taken regarding the possible grammatical acceptance of either the singular or plural in this example and the editor has removed the (sic).

Posted by PAMF MD
on Jul 23, 2021 at 10:30 am

PAMF MD is a registered user.

As a former PAMF physician of color, I am encouraged to hear that someone has finally spoken out about the racism at PAMF. Those of us who raise patient care and quality issues are quickly marginalized and labelled as trouble makers. Even though I had the best quality metrics in my section, the PAMF leadership threatened to report me to the Medical Board of CA for quality issues. They had previously done this to another physician and it took him hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees to resolve his issue and restore his license and practice. He advised me to just move on, which is what I did. The organization is run like a mafia without financial transparency, and there is so much corruption among the leadership. One of its current leaders actually had a $2 million slush fund with no accountability on its use.

Posted by pogo
a resident of Woodside: other
on Jul 26, 2021 at 7:01 am

pogo is a registered user.

I don't work at PAMF so I can only note my own observations from interactions with staff.

PAMF management and staff are among the most educated (primarily Stanford and UC grads) and clearly politically progressive people in our community.

I'm not doubting the claims, but it's certainly inconsistent with my own experience.

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Stay informed.

Get the day's top headlines from Almanac Online sent to your inbox for free.

Food hall forage: What we ate at State Street Market in Los Altos
By The Peninsula Foodist | 3 comments | 8,695 views

Is renewable diesel the real deal?
By Sherry Listgarten | 7 comments | 5,889 views

Do we really have a housing crisis?
By Diana Diamond | 24 comments | 4,306 views

Princess Diana: "There were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded."