Parents lose patience over school mask mandate

Original post made on Feb 15, 2022

Since state health officials decreed the end of the mask mandate for restaurants and grocery stores last week, frustrated parents have been asking: When can their kids take their masks off at school?

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, February 15, 2022, 10:21 AM

Posted by Dawn1234
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Feb 15, 2022 at 1:02 pm

Dawn1234 is a registered user.

I wish journalists pushed back more on this notion that eating in a restaurant or shopping in a grocery store is the same as sitting inside a classroom for 5 hours a day. When they sit in a packed restaurant for 5 hours without a mask, or spend 5 hours in a grocery store, then maybe they are comparable. A good reporter should be able to make those distinctions and not just let faulty analogies go unchallenged. I'm all for safely ramping down the masking - but these faulty analogies just make things more divisive than they need to be.

Posted by Brian
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Feb 15, 2022 at 1:06 pm

Brian is a registered user.

I was a staunch advocate of wearing masks at school but now that vaccines are available and given the data that seems to indicate that marks are not very effective, especially on children I have changed my mind on wearing masks in school. I think at this point, especially if they are vaccinated, they should be optional. Given how many children I see running around on campus at pickup and drop off with the masks below their noses or very loose masks I can't see them really providing a benefit. I would like to see testing stepped up but I doubt that will happen. Testing at the schools takes so long it is not useful at all. One class tested positive in a pooled test on a Tuesday and it took until the following Tuesday before they got individual results back to know who it was that had Covid. That is 8 days and the quarantine period is 5 days so was it useful?

Let's let kids, at least the vaccinated ones, lose the masks and get back to normal.

Posted by menlo mom
on Feb 15, 2022 at 1:28 pm

menlo mom is a registered user.

@Dawn1234 I agree that it seems like reporters these days are not asking questions or pressing for answers...they're just repeating the talking points they hear. But in the same vein as your question, I'd like to hear push back on the notion that the danger is the same for a grade school child as it is for an adult. Are the kids wearing masks to protect themselves or the teachers? I can understand teachers wanting protect themselves, but then let's have that argument. But I don't see masks (particularly cloth masks) as a necessary precaution for children at this point. My nieces and nephews haven't worn masks in schools in 18 months and there has been no huge outbreak among the children. And this is the case in many, many areas of the country. (And if there were and outbreaks in unmasked schools...anywhere...you better believe CNN would have found it and reported it)

Posted by Joseph E. Davis
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Feb 15, 2022 at 1:32 pm

Joseph E. Davis is a registered user.

There is no greater and more implacable enemy of children than the teachers' union.

Posted by menlo mom
a resident of Menlo Park: University Heights
on Feb 15, 2022 at 5:29 pm

menlo mom is a registered user.

@Joseph E Davis: Amen (and I’m a former teacher, but the parent in me will always and forever trumps all else)