Editor's Note: The original story initially stated there had been two trials on these charges; there have been three.
A retrial on multiple charges of child molestation ended with a conviction for a 50-year-old Menlo Park man on Wednesday (Nov. 20).
Horacio Carlos Teran was found guilty of three counts of felony molestation, and acquitted of two counts, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office.
Mr. Teran was arrested in 2010 after a 10-year-old neighbor alleged that the man had fondled him during games of tag in the defendant's backyard, the district attorney's office said.
A 12-day trial held in March ended with a deadlocked jury. Eight jurors voted guilty, two not guilty and two were undecided.
Yet another trial in September 2012 ended with a mistrial when, after three days, the court granted the defense motion over prosecution objection, according to the district attorney's office.
The defendant's attorney during the first trial, Michael Armstrong, had told the media that while his client did play tag, no lewd touching occurred.
The case returns to court on Jan. 24 for sentencing. Mr. Teran is in custody on $300,000 bail, after the judge denied the prosecutor's request for "no bail" status.
This story contains 228 words.
If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.
If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.