I love birthdays. Life is short, so we got to live it up strong on the day we were born. Besides, all the drinks are free. Did you know that birthday partying has been proven good for human health? Those who celebrate the most, live the longest!
OK, back to the selfie. I don't know ? I like seeing what my friends are doing and hope they like to see me. I am not into repetitive selfies, but a selfie now and again? Especially a birthday selfie? Good to see ya' having fun, that's what I say.
Of course birthdays are also good time for a Food Party! If you happen to live on the Peninsula, here's a few personal favorites to celebrate and enjoy the area's food, drink and scenery.
Where do you celebrate your birthday on the Peninsula?
A Perfect Peninsula Birthday
Coffee with friends at Konditorei (Portola Valley)
Hike at Castle Rock State Park (Los Gatos)
Lunch at San Gregorio Store (San Gregorio)
Boogie board at Tunitas Creek (Half Moon Bay)
- great for beach walk too - look for the secret entrance heading under the highway
Wine taste at Thomas Fogarty (Woodside) or if headed south, MJA Vineyards (Santa Cruz)
- Fogarty (classic wine club). MJA (fun wine club with monthly movie nights and the aloha spirit)
Afternoon munchie from the new Portola Valley Farmers Market
- the market only runs Thursday 2-5 PM now, but we have great vendors and the only place you can get the amazing Portola Valley Bakery bread by master baker Phil Reilly. My favorite the Kamut with walnut and red wine-soaked figs (wine from Portola Vineyards).
Happy hour (choose one)
Parkside Grill (Portola Valley)
- The secret Cheers bar under the gorgeous PV redwoods
The Vans (Belmont)
- Old San Francisco meets the Peninsula. Bella vista!
Dinner at Station One (Woodside)
- Whimsical, beautiful, local food. Check out the back bar.
Dancing at the Pioneer Saloon to the Running with Scissors Band (Woodside)
- These guys rock every Sunday from 4-8 PM. New musicians each week make up a musical jam. Great dancing, cheap drinks, friendly people.
So here's to (yet another) birthday. These days, I think about mine like a fine wine.
I am not getting older, just more complex.