Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
Ristorante Carpaccio has a wood-burning pizza oven and beers from Shadow Puppet, a brewery based in Livermore. Christina Schmidhofer Photography.
Ristorante Carpaccio has a wood-burning pizza oven and beers from Shadow Puppet, a brewery based in Livermore. Christina Schmidhofer Photography.

Ristorante Carpaccio closed its doors permanently on Sunday, June 22, after operating in Menlo Park for over 36 years. In the restaurant’s final days, it was nearly completely booked as locals ate there one last time.

The Italian restaurant opened in 1988. Three months after opening, it was bought by rental car operator Aaron Ferer. His wife, Sandra Ferer, was involved in the day-to-day operations. Aaron Ferer has owned the restaurant ever since. Carpaccio has been a regular winner of The Almanac’s Readers’ Choice Italian restaurant since it opened. 

In an email to this publication, Sandra Ferer said it was a difficult decision to close the restaurant. 

Known for its namesake beef carpaccio, the restaurant is located at 1120 Crane St. in downtown Menlo Park. 

In a 2023 interview, Sandra said much of the front of house staff had been at the restaurant for over 15 years. 

“They know our customers and they’re absolute professionals… I don’t know that we’ll ever go back to pre-COVID dining, so we just have to find the solution now, and the best way to deliver to our customers and potential customers, and attract people to Menlo Park. We need to bring people into Menlo Park to see what’s here,” she said at the time. 

One local family started a GoFundMe to support Carpaccio’s 14 staff members.

“My family and I have been happy guests of Carpaccio for as long as I can remember. We started the GofundMe to support the incredible staff that has been so good to us and so many friends and neighbors over almost four decades, to help them as they transition into the next chapter,” Julie Brady, who started the GoFundMe with Kelly Griggs and Chris Spencer after learning on June 19 of the restaurant impending closure, said.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, the restaurant started outdoor dining on Ryan Lane, which helped the restaurant operate when indoor dining was restricted. It kept outdoor dining until the Menlo Park City Council reopened the street earlier this year. 

The City Council recently made downtown revitalization a priority, in hopes of attracting patrons to downtown businesses and addressing storefront vacancies.

Editor’s Note: This article was updated with information about a GoFundMe started for the restaurant’s staff and to clarify Sandra Ferer’s role in the business.

Most Popular

Arden Margulis is a reporter for The Almanac, covering Menlo Park and Atherton. He first joined the newsroom in May 2024 as an intern. His reporting on the Las Lomitas School District won first place coverage...

Join the Conversation

1 Comment

Leave a comment