News

Update: St. Raymond pastor on leave after 'boundary violation' with teen, archdiocese says

Police found no criminal activity

Father William Myers, pastor of St. Raymond Catholic Church in Menlo Park, has been on leave since May 27 following an incident with a 17-year-old boy, according to the Archdiocese of San Francisco.

Describing the incident as a "boundary violation" that involved no physical contact, the archdiocese said San Francisco police determined there was no criminal activity and that the archdiocese's independent review board will also evaluate the situation.

The police were called at the request of the youth's father after he became upset during a trip with his son and Father Myers to a Ross store in San Francisco on April 19, according to the archdiocese's spokesman.

However, more than a month passed before the church found out about the incident. Director of Communications George Wesolek said the archdiocese was notified by a source on May 26.

"We don't know," he said when asked why the delay. "If we had been notified on April 19, we would've taken action on April 20."

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support Almanac Online for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

Since the police found no criminal activity, Mr. Wesolek said, no policy required notification, but the delay was not in the church's best interest.

"It's one of those things, we have learned that we cannot step back and if there is something like this that's gone to police, we have to take action immediately and put our process into play," he said.

Mr. Wesolek said that to his knowledge, no other allegations have been made against the priest in the past.

Father Myers is seeking treatment for a sexual addiction to adults, according to the archdiocese. He joined the parish in 2007, transferring from St. Brendan Church in San Francisco.

The archdiocese asked that any allegations of sexual abuse involving Father Myers be reported to the police and to its victim assistance coordinator, Barbara Elordi, at 415.614.5506 or [email protected]

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Sign up

Bishop William Justice will attend a meeting at St. Raymond tonight (June 1) at 7 p.m. to address concerns.

Staff at St. Raymond directed questions to the archdiocese.

Follow AlmanacNews.com and The Almanac on Twitter @almanacnews, Facebook and on Instagram @almanacnews for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Update: St. Raymond pastor on leave after 'boundary violation' with teen, archdiocese says

Police found no criminal activity

by / Almanac

Uploaded: Wed, Jun 1, 2011, 9:49 am
Updated: Wed, Jun 1, 2011, 1:40 pm

Father William Myers, pastor of St. Raymond Catholic Church in Menlo Park, has been on leave since May 27 following an incident with a 17-year-old boy, according to the Archdiocese of San Francisco.

Describing the incident as a "boundary violation" that involved no physical contact, the archdiocese said San Francisco police determined there was no criminal activity and that the archdiocese's independent review board will also evaluate the situation.

The police were called at the request of the youth's father after he became upset during a trip with his son and Father Myers to a Ross store in San Francisco on April 19, according to the archdiocese's spokesman.

However, more than a month passed before the church found out about the incident. Director of Communications George Wesolek said the archdiocese was notified by a source on May 26.

"We don't know," he said when asked why the delay. "If we had been notified on April 19, we would've taken action on April 20."

Since the police found no criminal activity, Mr. Wesolek said, no policy required notification, but the delay was not in the church's best interest.

"It's one of those things, we have learned that we cannot step back and if there is something like this that's gone to police, we have to take action immediately and put our process into play," he said.

Mr. Wesolek said that to his knowledge, no other allegations have been made against the priest in the past.

Father Myers is seeking treatment for a sexual addiction to adults, according to the archdiocese. He joined the parish in 2007, transferring from St. Brendan Church in San Francisco.

The archdiocese asked that any allegations of sexual abuse involving Father Myers be reported to the police and to its victim assistance coordinator, Barbara Elordi, at 415.614.5506 or [email protected]

Bishop William Justice will attend a meeting at St. Raymond tonight (June 1) at 7 p.m. to address concerns.

Staff at St. Raymond directed questions to the archdiocese.

Comments

bob
Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:57 am
bob, Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:57 am
Like this comment

And why was he transferred to St. Raymonds from the Sa Francisco parish.


Judy Jones
another community
on Jun 1, 2011 at 12:00 pm
Judy Jones, another community
on Jun 1, 2011 at 12:00 pm
Like this comment

We urge anyone, who has knowledge or may have been harmed by Father William Myers, to contact police, or an attorney, not church officials. Sexual crimes, however old, should be investigated by the independent professionals in law enforcement, not the biased amateurs in church offices.

Child predators rarely have only one victim.

Judy Jones, SNAP Midwest Associate Director, 636-433-2511
[email protected]
"Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests" and all clergy
Web Link


Skeptic
Menlo Park: Downtown
on Jun 1, 2011 at 12:22 pm
Skeptic, Menlo Park: Downtown
on Jun 1, 2011 at 12:22 pm
Like this comment

"Father Myers is seeking treatment for a sexual addiction to adults, the statement said."

Sexual addiction to adults, huh -- that looks like a red herring to draw attention away from his inappropriate contact with minors. I've never before seen sexual addiction limited to any particular category. In any case, sex addiction would seem to be a disqualifier for the Catholic clergy.

Shame on the bishop and archdiocese for allowing the transfer without a full investigation, or for ignoring what they knew. These so-called godly men are a menace to children and society.


Lurker
another community
on Jun 1, 2011 at 1:13 pm
Lurker, another community
on Jun 1, 2011 at 1:13 pm
Like this comment

If there are victims out there, they need to come forward. These type of predators never have just one victim.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Post a comment

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.