Hirzel Fine Jewelry store closing

A jewelry store that has helped adorn Menlo Park shoppers since 1952 is closing, according to store staff.

Hirzel Fine Jewelry at 728 Santa Cruz Ave. in downtown Menlo Park doesn't know yet exactly when the doors will shut, but does plan to hold a sale first.

"We've never done this before," said a sales person who answered the phone on Nov. 21. "We've been in business so many years, and we just decided to close." He declined to provide a full name.

What is democracy worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

Posted by Steve
on Nov 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I am not surprised that they are going out of business after the terrible experience i had getting two rings sized. One run around after another, didn't return phone calls, excuse that they have a problem calling cell phones,and rings not being ready when promised. They were also a little pricey just to have rings sized.

I certain will not miss dealing with them, thought i was going to need the police to get my property back.

Would give a complete name????

Posted by 40 Year Customer
on Nov 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I, too, have had problems with them lately. Jewelry not ready when promised, no returning of telephone calls, snobby service, and charges that were unreasonably high. It will be sad to see another empty storefront in downtown Menlo, but the Hirzel Jewelers of today is not the store it was when Mr. Hirzel ran it. Bigger is not always better.

Posted by Uh
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Nov 23, 2011 at 4:07 pm

My blood pressure is rising. Shortly after Hirzel sold I took in a necklace that belonged to my great grandmother. They broke a piece of jade, replaced it with a piece that did not match and reassembled it in a different way. Not the same and refused to acknowledge the apprisal. Next my son in law took Ina family ring to have it resized for my daughter's wedding ring. When he picked it up the design that was on it was gone! How did they handle that?. They told I'm never to come back. And we haven't!
The Hirzels were a wonderful family and could always be trusted.

Posted by Jewelery Insider
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:31 am

The Hirzels divorced and the wife got the store. Mr. Hirzel was always wonderful to deal with. His wife less so. The store's reputation diminished under her leadership and she wisely decided to close the store.

Posted by scb
a resident of Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
on Jan 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Hirzel was the name of the owners several years ago before the store was sold to the current owners, so the last name of the people currently closing the jewelry store is not Hirzel.

Posted by scb
a resident of Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
on Jan 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Update to above: This is a quote from another article I found online:
"George Hirzel opened his jewelry store on Santa Cruz Ave. . . . He ran it for 42 years, selling it to his employee Carl Weimer and wife Shana Todd when he retired in 1993. They moved the store to adjacent, larger space at 730 Santa Cruz in June, 2007." So today in 2011 I don't know who the owner selling the store is, but it is not the original Hirzel owners, but Carl Weimer kept the name Hirzel for the jewelry store. I would guess that one or the other of the two are selling the store, either Carl Weimer or his (former?) wife, as posted above by "Jewelry Insider, a resident of Atherton," above. I myself have not been to the store for over a year. I liked the jewelry store very much, especially Carl, and he was always very wonderful and took time to talk with me many times when I wasn't even buying anything. I bought my son's Ph.D. graduation watch there, had a diamond re-set there in a platinum gorgeous setting, have purchased other jewelry there, had appraisals done there, and always went in for just a battery change in my watch. Always excellent service. I appreciate Carl very much.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

After experiencing harassment, owner of Zareen's restaurants speaks out about Islamophobia, racism

Good News: The New Menlo Park Rail Subcommittee Hits A Home Run
By Dana Hendrickson | 12 comments | 1,689 views

Premarital and Couples: Tips for Hearing (Listening) and Being Known

Two degrees can do all that?
By Sherry Listgarten | 2 comments | 786 views

Tame, Maim and Claim the Wild Sea Vegetable
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 297 views

Register today!

On Friday, October 11, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run or half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

Learn More