Woodside High: Student Trump supporter assaulted

A Woodside High sophomore said that after she posted on social media her support of Donald Trump for president, she was assaulted Nov. 9 at the school by another student who accused her of hating Mexicans.

The exchange began with the girl allegedly asking the sophomore, "Do you hate Mexicans?" the sophomore said in an interview with KGO-TV.

In reply, the sophomore said that she did not, but the attacker allegedly said, "You support Trump. You hate Mexicans."

The girl who assaulted her gave her a bloody nose, pulled her hair and pulled out her earrings, she said in the KGO report.

Teens were actively posting their political views on social media as the election results came in, the sophomore said, adding that she had posted her views on Instagram.

Woodside Principal Diane Burbank said "appropriate disciplinary action" has been taken with respect to the student who initiated the attack.

Follow the Almanac on Twitter and Facebook for breaking news, local events and community news.

Comments

Posted by Pilar
on Nov 10, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Pilar is a registered user.

I'm not a Trump supporter, but I don't support uncivil behavior either. If we disagree with Mr. Trump's policies (and who knows what they are--he made so many conflicting and vague statements about them), there are many civil ways to take action between elections. Violence helps no one and certainly will never persuade another person to change their point of view.

I'm grieving over the election outcomes, but let's rise above this kind of behavior. It will only make things worse.

Posted by Civility--a teachable moment
on Nov 10, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Civility--a teachable moment is a registered user.

Maybe this is a teachable moment. Educate students and remind everyone about the power of organized CIVIL disobedience.

A majority of votes went to other candidates. If we rise up together in an organized and civil way good things can happen.

Look at the history of the Civil Rights movement. We can do this if each of us takes responsibility and takes CIVIL political action. Violence provides an excuse for police response, and that is NOT what we want.

Democracy is not a spectator sport. Violence is incendiary, not helpful.

Posted by KB
on Nov 10, 2016 at 12:33 pm

This violence is not good. What Trump has incited in people is just awful. I can't blame the girl who attacked the other girl for her anger. Darn right she's angry. But we all know she shouldn't go low like Trump has and attack another person for her beliefs. This makes me sad and despairing for all involved.

Posted by Richard
a resident of Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
on Nov 10, 2016 at 12:37 pm

You can find a snippet of the video online at the channel 7 web site but it is edited for length and content. I saw the uncensored video and it is unbelievably violent. After being sucker punched twice, the girl is thrown to the ground by her hair where she is kicked repeatedly so hard her abdomen compresses to almost nothing. This was not a slap fight, she could have been killed. When classmates go to get help they are harassed by their peers who condoned the attack. It is horrifying and not something that we should let the Woodside and Sequoia District administration sweep under the rug because people are upset about the election. They should be canceling classes today and addressing the culture.

Posted by RW
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Nov 10, 2016 at 12:58 pm

I think we ought to give Trump a chance.

Hillary's behavior in the last election has been abominable. First, her supporters in the DNC unfairly favoured her in the primaries (witness Debbie Wasserman-Schultz's resignation) against Bernie Sanders; then there is the Donna Brazile debate-question leak... to say nothing of her foundation's acceptance of Saudi money while styling herself as a feminist.
Where was Hillary in the campaign's waning days while The Donald was barnstorming the Rust Belt ? Traipsing about with entertainment personalities.
Besides, with a congressional Republican majority, it's unlikely that her agenda would enjoy easy passage.

Prior to his campaign, Trump has appeared to agree with universal health coverage and with abortion rights. He has not engaged in the 'bathroom wars'. He's certainly no friend of the Republican Establishment. His campaign positions were likely targeted to his base, and can be reversed.
How amazing it would be if he nominated Bernie Sanders -- a fellow populist -- for a cabinet position, say Secretary of Labor!

Lest you discount my opinions as those of a "deplorable", I supported Bernie Sanders, and Barak Obama before him; and in the 2016 election voted for Jill Stein.
I look forward to a more appealing choice for Democratic candidate in 2010. Mrs. Obama, anyone ??

Posted by Law and Order
a resident of Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:00 pm

KB, Incitement? Please truthfully elaborate that claim. And if you don't blame the perpetrator for this disgusting use of possibly lethal violence then you have some real problems that go beyond civility.

Posted by Enuff
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Teachable moment is right!
First, there is no excuse for this brutal attack. This is real bullying!
It is an assault, and truly an attempt to punish someone for her thoughts, beliefs, and for expressing her opinion. This is the opposite of what America stands for: tolerance, and freedom of expression.
The bullying girl who violently attacked an innocent student needs to be taught a couple of things:
The First Amendment to our Constitution guarantees EVERYONE the right of free speech.
To violently suppress another person's free speech is not only illegal and immoral, it is the essence of fascism.
Furthermore, the fact is that Donald Trump never condoned violence: quite the contrary, he wants to see law and order in place, and wants our laws to be properly enforced, including our immigration laws.
The attacker makes an utterly misguided statement that Trump hates Mexicans. Trump has declared he will represent ALL Americans. He's hired Mexicans to work in his companies over the years. And at his rallies, there were often signs that said "Latinos for Trump".
This girl's ignorance and disrespect for others, as well as her resorting to violence, need to be addressed.
Let's just hope she is educable.

Posted by Jarrel Jeffries
a resident of Woodside High School
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:05 pm

As a former student at Woodside, I think the on-campus protest is just a BS waste of time and a good way to avoid going to class. The school should hold an assembly, let people speak their minds, and then get on with school. No way should people be attacked for support one candidate or another. I for one cannot stand either Trump or Clinton. But Trump got elected, so now we have to give him a chance. The person who beat up Jade should be jailed for assault and battery. There cannot be any tolerance for this action. Anger is OK. Taking it out on others with a different point of view is not.

Posted by John
a resident of Woodside: other
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Cannot believe what is happening in this school, you call yourselves Clinton followers and this is how you act, sadly you are making yourselves out to be worse than you claim him to be, I can only hope that Hilliard Clinton is appalled at the. As for the student who was attacked Ibhope your parents file THREE LAWSUITS, one against the family of the attacker, one against woodside high school or the sequoia high school dist., and one against the principal of woodside whom word has out is protesting with the kids, his job is to keep order and control and keep students in class that is his job and the job of the teachers while at work, if this man is not FIRED ALONG WITH ANY TEACHER WHO WAS NOT IN CLASS TEACHING AS THEY SHOULD BE ,I will also file suit against the SEQUOIA UNION HIGH SCHOOL DIST.

Posted by Joe
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:06 pm

I agree with RW. There is much about Trump that is unorthodox. The establishment certainly does not trust him, which is a point in his favor. Businessmen being crude comes with the territory.

I too supported the candidacy of Bernie Sanders and think he could have beaten Trump with a more coherent platform in support of the interests of the 99%.

Sanders would have trounced Trump in the debates because he is faster on his feet than both Clinton and Trump and because by would have actually articulated populist positions that Trump used but could not support in any detail.

Posted by Sally
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:09 pm

It is so sad that we are having to address this type of situation among our youth in the aftermath of the election. The issue I see is freedom of speech is everyone's right but if you spread hate you should expect to get hate back. I have a teen and she saw all hate postings and is very angry by the hate that the young girl is spreading on public and secrete accounts.
My message to my kids is don't spread hate...that is what Trump has done to anger so many of us and we should not act like him if we don't like that behavior. We need to be better than that. Live and let live and respect others opinions but DO NOT spread hate.

Posted by Srini
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Well stated, RW. Up until the "Mrs. Obama" reference.

Posted by Joe
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:13 pm

I want to add that I felt the Trump opponents were acting in clear and unacceptable contradiction to the First Amendment when they tried to interfere with Trump rallies and appearances during the campaign.

How they justified that, given their supposed preference for the high road, is a mystery.

Posted by freedom of speech
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Does anyone know if this attacker was arrested, I would an enhancement of hate crime.

Posted by Appalled
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:25 pm

So that others can understand the magnitude of this attack, here is the link that RW references: Web Link

Clearly, freedom of speech, only applies to those with liberal views.

Jade- you are the epitome of class and courage.

Woodside High School-- some culture of tolerance and openness you have there. I thank God glad my child never has to go to your school.

Posted by tech
a resident of Atherton: West of Alameda
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:25 pm

uninformed and intolerant. pretty much says it all. "I know what's right and if you don't agree with me--i have no use for you."

Posted by Jarrel Jeffries
a resident of Woodside High School
on Nov 10, 2016 at 2:14 pm

It don't matter if the girl was black, white, Latina, pacific islands, chinese or whatever. This is BS. Woodside principal needs to make stronger statement that this won't be tolerated, not just, person has been disciplined. I think this principal is weak. Linda Common wouldn't have stood for this.

Posted by Hmm
a resident of Portola Valley: other
on Nov 10, 2016 at 2:17 pm

(Comment you referred to was removed.)

Posted by Woodside
a resident of Woodside High School
on Nov 10, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Im cringing at everyones opinion on this matter. Nobody knows what truly happened except for the students of woodside. [Portion removed.]

Posted by Disgusted w Fascist leftists
on Nov 10, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I am gravely concerned by some of the comments here. This is fascism being expressed by the left, yet they attribute it to the right. Sounds like germany in the '30's. If you disagree with the Nazi's, you were assaulted in this manner. Conservatives are afraid to support conservative opinions in public. That should tell you something. It is bad enough that the state is trying to punish political dissent (see IRS). But when people justify violence as a reaction to free speech, we are doomed. Supporting Trump is not hate speech, nor is it racist. He won a greater share of the Hispanic and black vote than did Romney. I, born in Mexico, am elated that we have elected Trump as president.

Posted by Jarrel Jeffries
a resident of Woodside High School
on Nov 10, 2016 at 2:31 pm

That last post shows just how crazy some people are. Statements like this only inflame bigotry hatred and violence. No body deserves to get beat up for being closed minded or bigoted in what they say. I have heard many bad things said about me, and Idon't go beatin on people.

Note: The post referred to was removed.

Posted by JBCHam
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Nov 10, 2016 at 2:32 pm

(Post referred to was removed.)

Posted by This is Woodside?
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Nov 10, 2016 at 3:24 pm

This is Woodside? is a registered user.

This person should be arrested, Or would it be politically incorrect?

My guess is if this had been the other way around there would be protests and the school would be shut down.

Posted by pogo
a resident of Woodside: other
on Nov 10, 2016 at 3:29 pm

pogo is a registered user.

Jarrel Jeffries - you give me hope for the future.

Your comments are spot on and eloquent. I only wish your peers were as insightful.

Kudos.

Posted by Community Member
a resident of Portola Valley: Brookside Park
on Nov 10, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Community Member is a registered user.

I think people are jumping to a lot of conclusions. My children attend Woodside. My experience with WHS is that they do involve law enforcement when an incident like this occurs. I assume that this is the case here and that privacy of minors will mean you will never get the whole story from a school official. The suggestion that the principal was protesting with students is just ridiculous. Students did decide to rally today during brunch and, rather than leave them to their own devices, the principal and other top administrators brough out a microphone and allowed students to express themselves. They did not take a position, but allowed for student to have their say about the election. I heard this was happening and decided to head over and watch for myself. This has been a hot election and emotions are running high. You can imagine that a child of undocumented immigrant parents might be a tad frightened about what his/her future holds. This was a safe forum for these kids to articulate these concerns and for others to express how they feel about what is happening. Dozens of students lined up for a chance to speak at the mic. They were articulate and thoughtful. I have never been so proud of my school as I was today. So yes, the incident yesterday was outrageous and unacceptable. But please do not malign the whole school as a result of the actions of one or two students.

Posted by WilliamDemers643
a resident of Woodside High School
on Nov 10, 2016 at 3:42 pm

WilliamDemers643 is a registered user.

As a student at Woodside High School and someone who attended and spoke at the protest, I'd just like to say that I'm angry. No, what [name removed] did was not right, but I have no sympathy for racists. Everyone who is defending the other girl because of "free speech" don't understand that there's a line between free speech and hate speech. [Portion removed.] She didn't get punished at all for what she said - she got off scot-free AND has a group of sympathizers that she doesn't deserve. [Name removed] was justifiably angry even if her actions were extreme. We were protesting racism, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, everything Trump stands for that we aren't going to tolerate. We WON'T tolerate hate speech, no matter how many people whine about "free speech." I'm proud of my school and I'm proud of getting a chance to speak at the protest and nobody can make me think otherwise [portion removed.]

Posted by margomca
a resident of Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
on Nov 10, 2016 at 3:46 pm

margomca is a registered user.

I disagree with the person who wants to sue the parents of the attacker, the school and the district. The only winner in lawsuits are the attorneys. Rather than blame and punish, let's think about why this happened. Yes the attacker was wrong. Really wrong, but has she been taught that violence is wrong? Our whole society must continue to focus on respectful discussion and LISTENING to the other side. I have done a lot of personal soul-searching about why the election turned out as it did. My conclusion is that I, like many others did not listen to the people who are poor, can't get jobs, have no health/dental care (and can't afford the Affordable Health Care Program---which needs not to be abandoned, but fixed). These are the people who have felt they had no voice. Donald Trump gave them a voice. Now those of us who did not support him, for whom he is not a voice, need to consider our part in not listening. It's complicated and we often feel helpless. That's how they feel, but they feel it with an empty stomach and empty bank account. That's where we should be putting our energy. Empowering those who have felt dis-empowered, but in a positive way. It's a long road, folks, but if we don't begin that long walk, it's going to be a hard time.

This incident at Woodside is just one symptom of all that is wrong. After we get through our grieving, let's get to work to build a more positive, caring America. We do have that in us----don't we?

Posted by WilliamDemers643
a resident of Woodside High School
on Nov 10, 2016 at 4:02 pm

WilliamDemers643 is a registered user.

@Appalled:

"The epitome of class and courage?" Are you KIDDING me? (Part removed) was a racist. If you sympathize with her, then you're sympathizing with racism. She was openly harassing Mexicans. She lied to the news and said that she only posted a pro-Trump message online when nearly anyone at my school will tell you she said that she "hated Mexicans" and "F*** Mexicans." My sister had her in her French class last year and said she has always been elitist and bigoted. People are RIGHTFULLY angry.

(Part removed) is far from the epitome and class and courage. She didn't deserve to be attacked, but she should have been punished for hate speech. And shame on you for defending her.
I'd use much, much stronger words if I could, too.

1 person likes this
Posted by RWil
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Nov 10, 2016 at 4:25 pm

RWil is a registered user.

WilliamDemers643,

And who will judge the judge ?

Aren't you expecting a bit much from mankind in your protests, considering that our distant forebears ran wild on the African savannah merely 100K years ago? The tribal instinct was likely essential to survival then, and it would be as vain to judge it as to assign moral weight to the killing of a gazelle by a leopard.

All cultures exhibit prejudice towards the outsider. It's built-in and will take evolutionary-length time-frames to distill out.

Posted by keeping it real
a resident of Portola Valley: other
on Nov 10, 2016 at 4:26 pm

keeping it real is a registered user.

The word from the students is that there was much more than a pro-Trump social media position that spurred this horrible attack. Apparently there was very specific hate text specifically targeted towards one on campus minority group (which was screen shotted and shared). I presume the police are investigating as to whether or not this is true.

Of course, there are no words EVER that justify physical violence but hate speech often inspires violence. This is an unfortunate reality which I fear will never change.

The students today were given a venue to express their grief, confusion, anger and personal stories. They did so peacefully and with respect for one another. Tension was released as authentic feelings were given the air time.

We have much to learn from them and the wise administration that allowed students the space to release (safely and with civility) the frustration that is being felt throughout out the country.

The trajectory for these two young girls may be forever altered. Colleges and employers, as it turns out, don't like these sorts of stories popping up in the interview process.

The problem on campus is that of parenting, not kids. WE need to teach kindness, compassion, and courage when called for (there were students watching the fighting who didn't even attempt to break it up). We need to raise our children up, protect them, teach them to do the right thing. We are 100% responsible for their behavior both legally and morally.

I'm proud of Woodside today. There were real lessons learned. I hope parents can follow their children's lead and begin healing.

Posted by local sports
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Nov 10, 2016 at 5:17 pm

local sports is a registered user.

Perhaps the worst thing about the altercation was that none of the boys watching the fight went to the aid of the young girl being attacked. They just sat there and watched, with some smiling.....like it was a show. Most were taking videos of the fight rather than try to break it up.

Posted by WHS Parent
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Nov 10, 2016 at 7:10 pm

WHS Parent is a registered user.

What has been reported by people witnessing the incident is very different from what the media is reporting.

No one deserves to be attacked and beaten, no matter her opinion, and what happened is inexcusable.

But the facts are that what provoked the attacker were several very offensive racist statements that the victim made over the internet (on Instagram) and in person over and over again. She did not say, "I like Trump" and was attacked. She more than once used the "n" word, harassed her fellow students of Mexican heritage, and simply used language that we should all cringe at it.

Again, her hate speech does not justify the attack, and the Woodside administration is dealing with the incident in the thoughtful and respectful way we Woodside parent know them for. They are modelling behavior for our students, something we should all do.

Today all the parents at Woodside received a message from Principal Burbank about today student peaceful protest and the school expectations for the students. I am glad my kids go to Woodside where this is being handled in the most inclusive and respectful way. I am so happy with the school's response.

@local sports

There is at least one video showing that several students went to the aid of the girl being attacked, defended her, and tried to break out the fight. I do not know where you are getting your information, but I have seen the video.

Posted by local sports
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Nov 10, 2016 at 7:14 pm

local sports is a registered user.

WHS Parent........the video I saw was what they showed on TV.

Posted by WHS Parent
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Nov 10, 2016 at 7:38 pm

WHS Parent is a registered user.

I know that there was one video shown on the news that showed the attack, but I did not read anywhere that "none of the boys watching the fight went to the aid of the young girl being attacked."

As said, I saw on another video, showed to me by a fellow parent, that students intervened to defend her and break out the fight. I hope that get to be part of the narrative, but the cynic in me thinks that the media is more interested in reporting, "girl attacked for supporting Trump" than "students defending girl attacked for her racist comments."

Either way, the attack is inexcusable and I applaud the students who went to her aid.

Posted by Belle Haven Resident
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Nov 10, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Belle Haven Resident is a registered user.

I think you need to change the headline. Based on the comments from students at the school, this wasn't about a single post but the result of a long-building hostile relationship.

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,190 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 943 views