Before firefighters arrived, the handyman, who had earlier soldered a copper pipe in the area of the fire, used a garden hose in an effort to prevent the blaze from spreading, according to a fire district press release issued Sunday morning.
Fire investigators said the fire had started in the wall "due to the soldering of the pipe," and then spread into the home's attic, according to the district. The homeowners, who live in the house, were in the backyard discussing the plumbing project with the handyman at the time.
The owners of the 2,400-square-foot, 1950s-era home face losses of $66,000 in contents and an undetermined loss in structural damage, according to the press release.
Five fire engines, one ladder truck and two battalion chiefs responded to the blaze, which was brought under control at 5:44 p.m., according to the district. A fire crew stayed on the scene until almost 9 p.m. to ensure that the fire was completed extinguished, the district said.
This story contains 243 words.
Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.
If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.