Ikie Kurose of former Nak's Oriental Market dies at 78

Original post made on Nov 29, 2018

Ikie Kurose, a longtime fixture of the community at the former Nak's Oriental Market in Menlo Park, died Saturday, Nov. 24, at age 78.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, November 29, 2018, 8:25 AM

Posted by Bonny Novesky
a resident of Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
on Nov 29, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Loved going into Nak's. Ikie and Seikichi were always so helpful as I struggled to learn Japanese cooking.
They were a sweet couple and were missed when Nak's closed.

1 person likes this
Posted by Twentse
a resident of Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
on Nov 29, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Twentse is a registered user.

What a great loss! She was a wonderful person. I loved shopping in their store. She was always so kind. Still miss her and Sam (and Ken) and their store. Warmest wishes to Sam, Ken, Naomi and Tamami and other family members.

Posted by Anneke
on Nov 29, 2018 at 6:28 pm

These two hardworking humans did a marvelous job in a country that was originally not their own. I remember the couple and their son extremely well. Ken told me once that each morning they would go very, very early to San Jose to get the best tofu for their customers.

It was a lovely little cosmopolitan center for people from Japan, The Netherlands, Indonesia, and more. As an original Dutch citizen, I found all the lovely little things I became used to before I very happily married a US citizen from Massachusetts more than 47 years ago.

Also, one time I saw a kind lady load all kinds of Dutch cookies, candies, licorice and more into her basket. When we started talking, she told me her husband was a grandson or even a great grandson of the KLM founder, Albert Plesman, of Royal Dutch Airlines.

Ikie-san, please rest in peace. Seikichi-san, please know you and your wife were very loved. Ken-san, I know you will support your Dad. My sincere kindness thoughts go out to you and your Dad.

They became a success in their adopted country. Kudos.

Posted by BH resident
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Nov 30, 2018 at 12:28 pm

She was always so kind and helpful when I went in to buy their fresh tofu. I’m so sorry for your loss. Rest In Peace.

Posted by PHF Menlo
on Nov 30, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Enjoyed, loved Naks over the years. Wonderful owners who always took such good care of their customers and neighbors. Rest in peace.

Posted by Seikichi (Sam) Kurose
on Dec 1, 2018 at 1:34 pm

To my former Customers and Friends,

Thank You so much for the wonderful comments about my wife and myself.
I am so touched. Life without my other half will be tough but I surround myself with wonderful memories of her. I miss and will always keep her close to my heart. Thank you again for your kindness.

Seikichi Kurose

Don't be the last to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Vegan cafe to land in Mountain View this week

How Can We Fund Below Market Rate Housing for Low and Moderate Income Residents in the Region?
By Steve Levy | 34 comments | 1,797 views

College Match
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 767 views

Premarital and Couples: Valentine's Day: Annually or Daily?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 642 views

Piles of artwork
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 230 views

The Almanac Readers' Choice ballot is here

It's time to decide what local business is worthy of the title "The Almanac Readers' Choice" — and you get to decide! Cast your ballot online. Voting ends May 27th. Stay tuned for the results in the July 17th issue of The Almanac.

VOTE HERE